Friday 27 February 2009

This Blog and Books...

When I started this blog back in November 2006, it was never intended to be a review blog. I still don't plan for it to become one. I already review books for Interzone, and I've no desire to write a review of every book I read.

But. I have posted book reviews here. There are my annual reading challenges, of course. Others are of books I really like, or books I think are important. One or two have been reviews I wrote years ago, and I've posted them here because I thought people might like to read them. I might dig out some more of them.

And I'll continue to do that. I'm currently working on a post on Gwyneth Jones' latest novel, Spirit; or the Princess of Bois Dormant. Next month I'm going to work my way through L Timmel Duchamp's Marq'ssan Cycle, and I'll be writing about those - a single post on all five books, rather than one per book, I think. I'd like to do the same for Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos Archives, but that'll have to wait until much later in the year.

Christopher Evans' Omega will likely be worth a post, as will Lewis Shiner's Black & White. Then there's Lawrence Durrell's second novel, Panic Spring, originally published under the name Charles Norden. And, from the sublime to the, er, slightly ridiculous, there's Child of Earth by EC Tubb, the recently published 33rd and perhaps final book in the long-running Dumarest Saga.

I'd also like to write about the Beacon Books I've managed to collect - but I read during my commute to work and, given their cover art, I'd be too embarrassed to read them on the tram. But we'll see.

And, of course, whatever other books I read which inspire to me write something about them.

As a reminder, here are the books I've written about on this blog to date, in alphabetical order by author. It doesn't include my annual reading challenge posts. Click on the title to go to the review.

No comments: