Wednesday 11 June 2008

A Blatant Attempt To Fill Space

I've been a bit crap lately about posting here. Partly because I've been busy, but also partly because I've not been able to think of anything to write about.

Last week, I spent four days in Stuttgart for work, and I considered writing about that. But then I realised there's not much you can say about Germany we don't all ready know - it's cleaner than the UK, it seems an all together nicer place, and it has a public transport network that puts the British one to shame...

Oh, and travelling through Manchester Airport was a nightmare. I've yet to be convinced that bottles of water are a danger to any aircraft. Or that all those queues serve any useful purpose - other than pissing passengers off, of course.
As far as I'm aware, no X-ray machines or metal detectors were put in place in the London Undergound after the 7/7 Bombings.

Strange, isn't it, that the people who make up these stupid laws are not themselves inconvenienced by them.


Anyway, I have in the past been asked to post more "funny stories" here. The following incident isn't "funny", but you might find it mildly entertaining. And thought-provoking. Or
something.

It was in the late 1980s. I was studying at Coventry University. One dark winter's evening, I was on my way home from the centre of town. My route took me between the two cathedrals - the new Basil Spence one, and the shell of the old one (photo by Tornad; taken from Wikipedia). As I passed the entrance to the old cathedral, I happened to glance in...

And saw a naked woman sitting on a big white horse.


Coventry, of course, was where Lady Godiva's famous ride took place.


As more of the interior of the cathedral came into view, I saw large spotlights and a camera crew. And I noticed that the woman wasn't actually naked. I never did find out what was being filmed. But at least I wasn't hallucinating. Nor was it the ghost of Lady Godiva I'd seen - I wouldn't have liked to have suffered the same fate as Peeping Tom.

No comments: